Welcome to create-Ed

"It's very formal- it's good if that's what you're going for, otherwise it's a bit resume-like"

Wow... Brutal honesty from my wife. I guess it's a good thing I had her read my first draft... I'm certainly not going for resume-like. For those interested, here's an excerpt from my rough draft for the opening post... It's a real page-turner:

Welcome to create-Ed, a new blog dedicated to sharing thoughts and ideas on creativity, technology, and innovation in education. First off, a little about me... I have been an educator in public schools for the past eight years, first as a science teacher and then as an administrator. I chose to move to administration early in my career because I wanted to explore opportunities to shape the educational landscape of my students in ways that were limited as a classroom teacher...

Yikes... After reading it again, it does seem a bit business-like. I suppose I should try again...

So welcome to create-Ed, a blog dedicated to creativity, tech, and innovation in education. I joined the education community about 8 years ago, after spending time as a professional photographer. While I enjoyed taking pictures, the job left me unfulfilled. I considered a few different career paths, but ultimately my wife convinced me to try teaching. I had previously taught rock climbing at a local gym, so I knew I enjoyed working with kids and sharing knowledge and experiences. That decision proved a critical turning point in my life. Within days of starting my student teaching, I knew without a doubt that I was meant to be an educator.

By February of the 2011-12 school year, I was starting to feel burned out and disillusioned with my career... I had made the move to administration after only 5 years of teaching, and the changes in regulations, the move towards more standardized testing, and cuts in education funding left me wondering if I needed to find a new career path. And just when I was ready to quit, I was saved by a 20 minute TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson.

The video reawakened a passion for creativity and innovation in education that had been dormant for quite some time. I was back, ready to help shape the future through the education of kids. I started building my Personal Learning Network (PLN), joined Twitter (@javarob75), and began planning the first Edcamp in western New York for spring 2013 (@edcampbflo). And that's just the beginning!

This blog is an open journal for me, an opportunity to share all the discoveries, insights, and visions that I experience on my journey. I am also looking forward to comments and questions readers might share. Thanks for joining me and I hope you enjoy reading the posts as much as I enjoy writing them!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts